FPDC Awards win for Hayles and Howe Ltd
Hayles and Howe are delighted to have been awarded the 2012 Internal Plastering Award by the Federation of Plastering and Drywall Contractors for works carried out at the British Armed Forces' Chaplaincy Centre, Amport House, Andover. The award was presented to MD David Harrison, Matt Cook and Robin Harrison at a celebratory luncheon in the Plaisterers' Hall on Tuesday 5 February. The company was represented at the luncheon by Jenny Harrison, Nick Roden, Boyd Rogers and Louise Wheeler; David Close attended on behalf of the clients PriDE.
This was a complex project in a Grade II listed house designed in 1857 in Elizabethan style by William Burn and set in beautiful Lutyens gardens. For the first phase of the works the company's talented site team replaced a failed coffered ceiling in the Snooker Room, which required in-situ work, this included a staggering 48 hand ruled mitres to complete. Hayles and Howe returned to Amport House in September and replaced the failed main ground floor vestibule ceiling with a new split lath and lime replacement.
Judges deemed that the coffered ceiling formed with in-situ run plain moulded beams and perimeter cornice were reconstructed with riven laths and lime plasters to a high degree of accuracy. All intersecting beam mitres had to be ruled by hand.
The quality of the finish to the large vestibule ceiling was said to be 'exceptional'. Judges praised the work as an excellent demonstration of the plasterer's craft, using traditional materials, noting that the industry still boasts true craftsmen.
Hayles and Howe USA win new Awards .....
Hayles and Howe, Inc. have recently been awarded the Associated Builders and Contractors Award of Excellence, recognizing the outstanding construction management of Mark Mordhorst. Additionally, the Hayles and Howe team were recognized as Sub-Contractor for the Project of the Year for their plaster restoration in Baltimore's First and Franklin Street Presbyterian Church. In the soaring 1859 Gothic church, the ornamental plasterwork is complicated in design and ornamentation. The interior of the building is considered to be one of the most spectacular Victorian decorative plaster interiors in the United States, featuring a triple vaulted ceiling with interwoven ribs, pierced leaves, fruits and other botanicals, and massive plaster pendants. Over years, pieces of the ornament had fallen off, and Hayles and Howe's assignment was to determine what was missing, replicate it in the workshop to original specification, and seamlessly install it into the existing work. The original work was executed in gypsum plaster, and the work was of superior quality. The restored work, also in gypsum, matched so perfectly there was no indication of any damage. Many of the ornamented plaster pendants presented a challenge because once the missing pieces were replicated, it seemed as though gravity had to be defied to re-attach them. Plasterwork had to be removed from the large balcony in the sanctuary to make way for structural investigations and then re-installed as original. Light trough details needed to be simplified. Existing rain leaders in the building needed to be redesigned. Under the expert project management of Mark Mordhorst, Hayles and Howe's team were consultants, designers, fabricators and installers in this superb historic restoration. In the words of Brian Washburn of Lewis Contractors, the general contractor for the project, the Hayles and Howe team members "practically ran a plaster history seminar onsite as they revealed century old plaster techniques and made state of the art repairs." Decorative painting of the completed plasterwork was executed by Thomas Moore Studios in this inspiring space, the perfect finishing touch for this award-winning plaster restoration project.